Sunday, December 11, 2011

Really Reasonable Ribbons' Recipe Swap/Food Packaging Week




Since I love both crafting and baking, especially around the holidays, I jumped at the chance to participate in this event. I even pulled out a new recipe I've been wanting to try for a while.
When I was in kindergarten, my best friend's mom made these yummylicious butter mints. Granted hers were prettier than mine (yeah, I know, mine look a little like wads of used bubblegum, but they taste pretty fabulous.) I was excited to find this recipe last year, but never got around to making them. I tweaked the recipe, added mini chocolate chips and used peppermint oil instead of extract, and they came out perfectly! Yum! Here's a pic of them, in the box:


And, here's the box, all decorated up, including ribbons from the Really Reasonable Ribbons' Monthly Ribbon Club, some faux clear crystals, and a glittered dove that matches the glitter used in the paper.


So, here's the recipe...it doesn't take long to make them at all and they're darn tasty.

Vegan "Butter" Mints

2 tbsp vegan margarine, softened
(I use Earth Balance since it's also free of trans-fats)
2 tbsp light corn syrup
4-5 drops peppermint oil
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups confectioners sugar
food coloring of choice
1/2 c vegan mini chocolate chips

In a stand mixer or by hand, combine margarine, corn syrup, peppermint oil, and salt. Gradually stir in confectioners sugar. Knead in the mixer or by hand, 1-2 minutes or until smooth and doughy. Add food coloring, if desired, and stir till colored throughout. Pull off small, nickel sized pieces and smush a few chocolate chips into the dough, then roll into a ball. Flatten and set aside. Do this with remaining dough. Bo up the mints and allow to sit until firm on the outside.

Yummy!

3 comments:

sandee said...

I had to laugh and do a double take when you said they looked little little wads of bubble gum, too funny! I thought they looked cute and I bet they do taste yummy!

Stampin D Amour said...

OMG!! These look so yummy! And your wrapping is so elegant! :)

-pamela

Bonnie - Really Reasonable Ribbon said...

Your mints look delish, and that's some pretty packaging too!! Thanks so much for linking in with our recipe exchange and packaging theme.